Goals of the Unit: Explain how environment affects culture. Recognize that there were sophisticated cultures of people that fully populated this land mass prior to the arrival of Europeans.
- Northeast woodland tribes that lived in the forests and along the coast
- Great plains tribes that traveled to follow their food (mainly buffalo)
- Southwest tribes that lived in hot and dry climates
- Pacific northwest coastal tribes that developed their art since resources were so abundant and they had extra time
- The Inuit who lived in the arctic and survived creatively on limited resources