Congrats to Kate, Katie, and Caroline from 5K, as well as their teammates from The Blue Mustaches, and all of the Pine Hill participants at the Global Destination Imagination Competition!
Back in the classroom, we had a fun-filled week of special activities.
- A helicopter landed in our playground! The pilots taught 5th graders a little about the science behind helicopter flight.
- Students enjoyed a hefty amount of reading on Reading Day. We had a special celebration at the end of the day to recognize that we finished over 200 books as a class this year.
- Rocky the (big) therapy dog visited 5K. Students enjoyed the calming sensation of petting his soft long fur.
- In social studies, students are working in teams to create news reports of an event that lead to the American Revolution. They've written scripts, created props, and are finishing up their filming. I can't wait to see the final products!
What We Didn't Get To:
- We made mostly good progress through the plan from last week.
This Week's Plan
Upcoming Special Events:
- Puberty Round 2: Tuesday, May 30th. Students learn more about body changes during puberty from Mr. Carnes and Ms. Fedor.
Review Volume, Measurement Conversions, Line Graphs & Plots, and Polygons.
- This week we review for a unit assessment. Student will get a practice packet as a study guide. The assessment will likely be on Thursday.
Finish Book Groups.
- We'll have our last discussion in book groups. We'll share about the theme of our stories by analyzing the challenges a character faces, the climax of the story, and the resolution to see how a character changes and what lesson he/she learned.
- We continue our essays about homework. This week we will work on building counter arguments, constructing strong introductions and conclusions, using appropriate transition words, and commas.
American Revolution. Vocabulary building.
- Through readings, videos, and storytelling, we'll learn about the important battles of the American Revolutionary War.
- As we study the American Revolution, students confront many challenging vocabulary words, such as oppositional, controversy, and discontent. We will record new words and use them through discussion and activities, such as creating "Word Scales."
We switch to focus on Social Studies.
Please check the Homework page for more details.
- Students should be finishing up their Global Citizenship Final Project.
- There is no new blog this week.
- Read 25 minutes at home per day and log the title, author, and time in the planner.
- There will be a math page for homework each night.
FYI End of Year Events:
- Grade 5 Open House --Wednesday, June 7th at 6:00pm.
- Visit to Middle School --Thursday, June 8th.
- Hale Reservation Field Trip --Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, June 13th - 15th.
- Grade 5 Promotion Ceremony --Tuesday, June 20th.
- Last Day of School -Wednesday, June 21st.
Thanks for Reading!
That's the plan for the week. Please feel free to email me with any questions, comments, or feedback.